Saddened
8:08 PM | Author: Eric Tuin
This weekend I watched Hotel Rwanda (I am a parent so I don't get to see movies when they are in theaters, thank you netflix). I really didn't know what the movie was about other than a guy who saved some people in a Hotel in Rwanda. I was a teenager, or just coming out of my teens when this event happend and didn't really watch the news as I was in college and had other things on my mind. Anyway, I had no idea the magnitude of the genoside that occured there and i'm sure is happening elsewhere in the world. I was saddended by how brutal and evil people can be, and it makes me wonder why they are that way.

Then there was the shooting today at Virginal Tech...a little closer to home, not genoside but senseless killing and evil just the same. It makes me wonder what I am supposed to do about it, if anything. It makes me sad that there is this kind of evil in the world and makes me wonder how I can raise my kids realizing such evil and still be able to trust people and have a good heart. I think at this point I want to raise them to be able to defend themselves, have some street smarts, much wisdom, and be sensitive to God's direction.

No one knows how they are going to react in an extreme situiation and it is definetly easy to second guess things and have hindsite in almost every situation, but I hope that If I am ever presented with an extreme situation that I will have the wisdom to know what to do, the training to do it, and the fortitude to stand up to it. It is always surprising to me that in these situations the "gunmen" usually kills himself, that its not done by someone else defending the people, its seems that its almost never the police. The person finally decides that they've caused enough evil and ends it. It just seems like it doesnt have to be that way.

Well, I hope that you are blessed today and that you and I have the guts to stand up to evil when we face it.
|
This entry was posted on 8:08 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On 7:51 AM , Toevs said...

I too was appalled at the evil of the genocide in Rwanda! I have a friend that is living in Rwanda right now. Easter was the 13th anniversary. I just can't even fathom being in that type of situation... or the VT situation either. Does make you wonder about raising our kids in this evil world. But then I read the Old Testament and think about how life really wasn't any less evil back then. I am thankful that Jesus came into this world to save us all! We can know that we have the opportunity to spend eternity with Him! Until that day comes, I hope that I am able to stand up for what I believe in, even to the death.